Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"What Do Children See...It's a Mystery to Me"

For the past six months I have been working as a teacher's assistant in a very active Montessori pre-primary classroom. My co-workers and the thirty-four children we work with have shared in a multitude of learning, laughs, surprises, disappointments, and revelations. The following are some of my favorite reminiscences of the year:

On Earth Day the teacher was explaining how we can recycle items to reduce waste. On child asked if we could recycle clothing. The teacher replied yes. Abruptly, Srujan (4.5 years old) declared that his father did not recycle his underpants.


It is not uncommon to hear Issy (4) break out into song. Her set list typically includes "Alouette", "Itsy Bitsy Spider", or cartoon theme songs. One day just before the other children arrived for group time, Issy was on the mat singing "Party in the USA".



While playing outside after school a few months ago, Christie (4.5) noticed that I walk home. Since then when I left school for the day Christie would regularly say to me, "Have a nice walk Mr. Nathan."



Just before heading to the spray park one June morning, Rowyn (3) was attempting to cram his towel, bug spray, and water bottle into his backpack. I came over to assist him when he declared, "No, it's too hard fur yu."




On May 26th, Willem (5) strutted into the classroom wearing a white dress shirt, black pants, and tie in celebration of his fifth birthday.






Our morning students were mediocre listeners at best. One day after reading a story to the class I asked a question regarding the book. To my delight Arianna (4.5) replied with a phrase verbatim from the story. It made my morning.





Several months ago I was supervising the afternoon class when Star (6) came up to me. Figuring I could be of assistance I asked, "Can I help you with something Star?" upon which she responded, "I just like you is all."




Around 4pm one afternoon the children in after school care came into the classroom from outside. The teacher teased Miya (3.5) with the old "I got your nose" trick, to which Miya replied, "That's not my nose, that's a booger." Teacher: "I'm going to wash my hands now."



A few children became known for their daily catch phrases: Saul (4.5) "Is snack ready yet?", Rowyn (3) "Good mornin' Mr. Nafan!", Ella (3.5) "I'm tired" then proceeding to lean on you no matter your current activity. I will also leave you with the best t-shirt phrase I've seen: "Be cute, don't pollute." Thanks Issy.

I would love to share a memory of every child I worked with but that I'm afraid that make for far too long a blog. Perhaps I'll entertain you with more stories in the fall. Thanks for the memories kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute ... thanks for sharing Nathan.

I get a charge (though I'm slightly chagrined at the class disruption) when I visit and the children are all so happy to see me. But the funniest is the south classroom who will say "Hi Miss Heather" the first time and then say "Hi Miss Heather again" the next time I walk in. I made a comment that I should change my name and now several of them are calling me "Miss Heather Again" even when I see them offsite! Too cute.

 
Free Hit Counter