Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Little Orange Wagon


"Ten more" I called as I prepped plates and stared out the window. It was another "busy" day at work. Suddenly my attention was drawn to a tangerine-orange VW van which had pulled up and parked right in line with my eyesight. A bike rack on the back carried four bikes and a few characters ranging in age from ten to thirty-five piled out. What a great summer idea I thought. Traveling and camping in an old VW van across Canada. Tenting, biking, exploring, and cruising - imagine the possibilities!! That is definitely on my dream list.


This past week I contemplated what other activities would be on my dream list. Here is a snippet of what I came up with in no particular order:

Travel to every continent - I would love to visit places that are so different from where I live. So far I have only been to Europe. And North America I suppose lol.

Paragliding - This looks extremely fun and exciting. My older brother went a couple years ago and highly recommends it. Kinda hard to do in Saskatchewan though.

Give up TV for a month - I was originally going to put for a year, but due to the ubiquitous of TVs I'd failed for sure. It would also have to take place during the CFL off season.

Become a historical tour guide- Probably in Europe, however I'm flexible. Auschwitz-Birkenau would be far too bleak and disheartening, but maybe a tour of a World War One battlefield or on the beaches of Normandy.

Adopt a pet dog - Not one of those tiny dogs that I would step on and maim accidentally or the crossbreed dogs with ridiculous names like Bullshihtz, Snorkie, Boggle, or Maltipoo. I like the medium sized dogs like retrievers, labradors, border collie, basenji, or maybe a beagle.

Participate in traditional sweat lodge ceremonies - A moving, sacred, life-altering and educational experience from what I hear.

Scuba diving - Without question I have to go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef and in the Caribbean.

Learn how to meditate - or actually try it maybe a better way to phrase it. I am very curious about Buddhism and its practices.

Volunteer or teach in Africa and Japan - Africa fascinates me, Japan intrigues me.

Feel free to tell your own dream under comments!

2 comments:

Bawchee said...

Go to Australia! They have a Great Barrier Reef there. There are plenty of empty, endless beaches to mediate on, for days if you really want. You'd be able to tick off one of the continents you want to travel to. You could live in a van with your dog and avoid TV all in one. There's a prominent Aboriginal culture there. They might be able to help you with the sweat lodge. Japan is practically next door.

The number one dream I had on my list was shattered years ago. Apparently I will never grow up to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Jonny said...

I vote this to be our next summer, it will be legendary!

 
Free Hit Counter